ZEBRAS ...DID YOU KNOW?

This poster by Roger Hall can be purchased on his Etsy Shop WildlifeArtbyRoger

What started as a casual enquiry about some cheetahs took a very different turn in March this year at my exhibition titled Touch at Fine Art Gallery in Swakopmund.

A collector of my work was weighing up whether to invest in my piece of a cheetah Mom with her cubs or to invest in some work of Zebras. (As her farm has zebras on it).  Little did I know at the time, that those zebras are in fact, Hartmann’s Zebras and are a rare mountain species of Zebras.


In fact, I did not know, just how many different Zebra species and sub-species there are. So, I pose the question to you, my reader, did you know how many Zebras there are spread throughout the African continent.


I think I’ll start with the one that is no more. May the lesson of the Quagga serve to ignite in us the forethought to ensure that no more species ever go extinct due to the greed and ignorance of man.


Then, let’s look at Zebra numbers of the various species and where they are found:


Burchell’s Zebra

Equus quagga burchelli

Estimated count now 663 000


Found in Southern Africa, and a small area of Tanzania and Kenya.


Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra

Equus zebra harmannac

Estimated count now 13 000


Found only in Namibia and Southern Angola


Maneless Zebra

Equus quagga borensisi

Estimated count now 200 - 300


Found in South Sudan and Uganda


Selous Zebra

Equus quagga selousi

Estimated count now 50


Found in Mozambique


Chapman’s Zebra

Equus quagga chapmani

Estimated count now (part of the plains zebra counts)


Found in Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Angola.


Grant’s Zebra

Equus quagga boehmi

Estimated count now 50 000


Found in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia and Zimbabwe


Crawshay’s Zebra

Equus quagga crawshayi

Estimated count now (part of the plains zebra counts)


Found in Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique 

Grevy’s Zebra

Equus grevyi

Estimated Count now 3000


Found in Northern Kenya and Ethiopia


Cape Mountain Zebra

Equus zebra zebra

Estimated count now


Found in South Africa 1500


According to the information I could garner with regards to Zebras, (which may or may not be accurate, given the fickleness of the www) the Zebra we have to worry about the most is the Selous Zebra, followed by the Maneless Zebra and the Cape Mountain Zebra.


And of course, my question now to the greater world is - can we afford the hunting of Hartmann’s Zebras when there are a mere 13 000 individuals left?  Methinks not! 


I will leave this age old question out there…to what purpose do we hunt an animal when the only reward is a skin to hang on a wall or walk on as a carpet? 


I will be producing a whole host of new work - all of these gorgeous Hartmann's Zebras in the next few weeks. If you'd like to see them first - drop me an email HERE.


And as I complete them they will be posted on my website HERE


Comments

Popular Posts