The Journey Has Started








It all happened so quickly. One minute, we were still the owners of a Lodge and then suddenly we weren’t.  In December 2021 we were packed up. Our possessions landed in a container and we were officially “homeless”.

After being pinned down in one place for 17 years we were reluctant to make a hasty decision regarding the future. In a moment of contemplation I suggested that we buy a caravan, travel from Game Reserve to Game Reserve throughout Southern Africa for the next couple of years and then we make our decision as to where we would like to settle.


This decision was to have a few repercussions. Caravans, in South Africa, it seems all fancy the idea of cooking in your bedroom. I, for one, cannot abide the thought of going to sleep amidst the smells of cooking food and so the journey began.


After much searching and disappointments along the way we finally found someone who could tailor-make a caravan to specification. However, due to his willingness to design the caravan around the client, he is in high demand and we had to go onto a waiting list. December seemed a far way off.


Fast forward to now and the build has begun but in the meantime I have had an exhibition in Namibia, travelled to Ireland for a family break, travelled to Port Elizabeth to check on the caravan specs, travelled back to Rorke’s Drift (or to be more specific, Dresden, a farm just down the road) to house-sit for my youngest we are now finally doing some of that travelling we envisaged many moons ago.


The brief is to study the Hartmann’s Zebra and to commit its image to paper. In order to do this I am now ensconced in one of the most magical places on this earth. Just a stone’s throw from the famous Sossusvlei of Namibia a farm called Schliesen is where I’m resting my head.


Atop a mountain with an awe inspiring view I now write this while gazing off into the blue yonder. The country of big skies, bluer than you can imagine and only the silence interrupted by bird song to intrude on my thoughts.


For six weeks I will be chasing Zebras, contemplating the universe and reflecting on life. I hope you will join me for the journey.


Please remember if you want to see some of the work I am doing while on my epic adventure please check out my website HERE and if you'd like to hang some of that work on your walls then click HERE and drop me an email.


Comments

Popular Posts