A Parallel Universe



I have to admit that I am as close to a Dinosaur as one can be. My bones creak and my attitudes to life have been shaped by a time that appears to be long gone.


In my day, before the era of a phone in a pocket, there was a certain etiquette that went along with the telephone. No calls after 8pm, no calls during meal times and a call was a private affair not listened to, by all and sundry.


I remember a story of a relative, a surly farmer who, when technology reached his farm, had a telephone installed. However, as he did not fancy the idea of an intrusive device, had his telephone installed in the barn. His reasoning was that when he needed it he would go and use it, but he certainly didn’t want it intruding on his life. 


Fast forward to 2022 and this etiquette that made life and technology quite tolerable, has just disappeared in a cloud of smoke.


On the road for the first time, forging our way North towards Namibia we landed in Upington at a beautiful lodge on the banks of the Orange River. But, as with many accommodation establishments, the dreaded COVID has taken its toll and so the owners no longer run the in-house restaurant. So, off into the streets of Upington we went looking for some fare for the night.


The recommendation was a restaurant just around the corner, also on the banks of the mighty Orange. The Red Ox turned out to be a beautiful venue. Soft lighting, moody music and a table overlooking the river with attentive serving staff held much promise.


A bottle of Alto Rouge lent itself to the occasion and I leaned back in my chair soaking in the atmosphere.  However, this was not destined to last long.


The table next to us was vacated and a new group of four took their place. Three women and a man who obviously was enjoying being féted by a group of adoring women. Before he even sat down he posed in front of the window with the darkened river in the background while one of the women obligingly took a photo of him. Unfortunately, he was in direct line of sight for my chair, and I had to gaze upon his image for at least ten minutes while many more photos were taken, until it appeared that he was satisfied that he looked stately enough.


While that was going on, I suddenly became aware of the fact that another couple had joined the table just behind me as I heard, in German, a very loud conversation about “eating’. Then, the voices behind me quietened down and we all started enjoying the delicious meals in front of us.


However, back to Adonis and his three admirers. I noticed that they all had ordered burgers and everyone tucked in. I had ordered a fillet on the bone, a first for me, and was intent on enjoying the rare fare. However, while taking in the views outside and the relaxed atmosphere of the establishment, I couldn’t help but notice that Adonis was not eating his burger. Instead, he was photographing his companions and they him. It seemed there were 3 cell phones on the table and each one was being used in turn. Next, Adonis’ burger was whipped away and returned in a “doggy bag” to be followed by a freshly cooked steak. Bemusedly, I contemplated the variations of what would have prompted this. Perhaps a story for another day. But, needless to say, the noise and constant jumping up around the table for the best angle for photographs was, to put it mildly, ruining my feeling of bon vivre!


Then, the German started up. A conversation on speaker phone with someone back in Germany. I tried as best I could to shut it out, but what with dancing Adonis and loudmouthed Gertrude the atmosphere was gone. 


As I left the restaurant I couldn’t help feeling that l was in a parallel universe and I don’t really like it much. I have long heard all the talk about people not talking to each other while being occupied on phones. But, please, let’s get back to that. By far preferable to being trapped between technological progress and the desire to head off to a quieter life somewhere in Africa.


Remember if you want to see some of my artwork completed while on this adventure ... please CLICK HERE and if you fancy a piece you can drop me an email HERE.

Comments

Popular Posts