The Day of the Jackal



I have now been in the Kalahari for three weeks and sadly I have not done one blog entry, despite the fact that every day there is something new to show.  This has to stop and from now there will be more about my travels each week.

I'll just jump in with yesterday but may end up reflecting a little more on days gone by.  Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is a very different kind of game viewing experience. Distances are long and the roads are not always the best in the world but each and every day there is something else.

Yesterday, despite the fact that I did not see too many animals of the feline persuasion that I could photograph there were many other opportunities. And the oddest one so far, was the black back jackal. We came upon 5 individuals who were looking a little testy with each other. After much looking through binoculars and camera lenses I finally worked out what the reason was for the gathering. There was a bundle of fur lying under a tree. Despite desperately trying to work out what it all was I was left slightly perplexed. Until, of course, the main keeper of the skin, stood up and gathered up his bundle. It was an animal skin. The jury is still out as to what animal but the strongest contender as a Red Hartebeest, but I won't be staking my life on the accuracy of that. The jackal managed to gather up the ends of the blanket and then run off with it. The assumption at this stage is that it had been stolen from a kill that was still fresh and it was being guarded jealously. 

We eventually left the five pursuing jackals as they moved further and further away from the kill site that was obviously somewhere in the dunes away from our prying eyes. 

During the day we encountered many more individual jackals throughout the parts of the reserve that we drove. It seems it was indeed The Day of the Jackal.

One more encounter with Africa that left more questions than answers but left me knowing that the mysteries of Africa are sometimes unexplained and that is what keeps the magic alive.

Till next time.


Christine

P.S.  While travelling I am still working in my Studio Tent. So if you're looking for a special artwork for a special occasion you can still get it! Just drop me a comment here or send me an email or even a Whatsapp will do. 

Comments

Popular Posts